Chakra is the Sanskrit word that means ‘wheel’. Chakras are wheels of rotating energy. They are the energy centres in our body through which energy flows. There are 7 major chakras and many minor chakras. Each of the body’s 7 chakras is associated with specific locations on the body, such as the solar plexus, the heart, the throat, or the crown of the head.
Each chakra is associated with an endocrine gland and certain organs which provides the energy it needs to function. Also, each of the 7 chakras corresponds with our emotions, behaviours and different aspects of our life. The chakras vibrate and are open at different levels relative to the awareness of the individual and their ability to integrate the characteristics of each into our life.
You can target a specific chakra depending on the problem you want to solve or the goal you want to achieve. Sometimes energy can be blocked in one or more of your chakras. which can often lead to health issues, stress and unbalance within yourself. it is important to understand what each chakra represents and how you can restore its balance.
There are many chakra healing methods; from sound therapy, colour therapy, yoga, reiki healing, pendulum dowsing, crystal healing, emotional freedom techniques (EFT), aromatherapy and guided meditations. These chakra healing methods are great, but they only treat the symptoms and not the cause, you have all that you need to heal yourself and that’s already within you.
These are the three steps to heal your 7 chakras:
1/ Take care of your heart – If we can learn to control our breathing, which makes the heart’s rhythms become more balanced, the changed of flow from the heart to the brain will change the impact of the brain’s performance. eating a balance diet which includes eating greens, doing physical activities, will help to improve the heart, as well as your overall well-being.
2/ Have positive thoughts – you must release all limiting beliefs that are causing blocked energy within the chakras. You can do this by eliminating your negative thought patterns and changing them with positive thought process. Read the article on how to write affirmations.
3/ Breathe & Meditate – Breath is the essence of life and being, within breath is vital energy or life force called prana. Prana is a flowing life force energy that is in all living things, that can help to restore the body’s natural flow of energy. A breathing meditation practice called chakra breathing, chakra breathing can help you to bring awareness to a chakra, by centering your attention on one chakra as you inhale and exhale, the prana energy from the breath is directed and guided to that chakra. Start at the root chakra and work your way up to the crown chakra. If you want to you can also visualize or say the affirmations while you are meditating.
Begin chakra breathing meditation:
- Sit forward slightly, to avoid leaning against the back of the chair, make sure your back (spine) is straight and your legs are shoulder-width apart, and your feet are flat on the ground and palms are facing up on your lap.
- breathe from your diaphragm, slightly tense your abdominal muscles, at the same time, push your abdomen outwards as you breathe in. Inhale slowly and deeply through your nose to a count of four, keeping your mouth closed, and hold it a few seconds. Breath out. Release it by blowing it slowly from your nose, on a 10-count. Let the stomach fall naturally when breathing out by relaxing the diaphragm, the abdomen moving in as you breathe out. Repeat four times.
- Start with the root chakra and work your way up to the crown chakra. Close your eyes and focus your attention and awareness on your root chakra by either placing your finger on the chakra for a few seconds or visualizing or being aware of your root chakra. Inhale in through the nose and direct the breath to the root chakra and exhale through the nose and allow awareness to settle into the third eye chakra. If your mind starts to wander, just refocus your mind on your breathing and on the root chakra. Do this for two-five minutes, then move on to the next chakra.
- Once you have done all the chakras, just before opening your eyes, take three slow deep breaths and slowly open your eyes.
- Ground yourself – drink water or walk in nature.
Healing and Balancing tips for all 7 chakras:
1. Root Chakra – (red)
- Affects our physical survival, security and safety. To heal the root chakra, you need to release all your fears. You can do this by replacing your negative thoughts with positive thoughts using affirmations.
- Be in the present moment – If you feel unbalanced, like dizzy, confused or clumsy. You need to ground yourself by fully being in the present moment, so we don’t feel disconnected from our physical body. Focus on your physical life, take a walk in nature, do some gardening, do some exercise, do any activity that keeps you in the present moment. Read this article on how to start living in the present.
2. Sacral Chakra (orange)
- Associated with sexuality, pleasure, relationships and creativity. To heal the sacral chakra, release all blame and guilt you may be holding on too and forgive yourself.
- Release emotions – Do activates that helps with releasing emotions like dancing, drawing/painting, writing, drama, sports, therapy etc.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra (yellow)
- Effects our personal power, and purpose. To heal the solar plexus release all your letdowns and disappointments within yourself.
- Build yourself up (be strong)– Focus on your goals and on what you want to achieve in your life. Take risks and challenge yourself to do better and to be better. Learn what you need to learn to take yourself or your goals further. Always strive to grow and develop yourself on a personal, spiritual and physical level. If you fail, learn from the failure and come back stronger.
4. Heart Chakra – (green)
- Associated with love, self-acceptance, compassion for self and others. To heal the heart chakra, release all your sadness and loss. Let the pain flow away. Try saying these affirmations: “I give and receive love unconditionally”, “I am loved and I am worthy”, “I am powerful and loving at all times”
- Love yourself – Work on accepting and loving yourself as you really are, write down all the positive things you have done and have accomplished, it does not have to be huge, it could be making someone laugh, helping someone with their shopping, etc. Go look in the mirror, place your hand on your heart chakra and say out loud all those positive things you have written. Start to visualize and think about the difference you have made in their lives and how grateful they felt towards you. Feel their loving energy pouring into your heart, clearing away all wounds, replacing them with love.
- Give your love and your heart – give your heart to something or to others will help you to heal your heart chakra. Help someone in need, volunteer at a charity, hug a friend, nurture animals or others, do things that you love and enjoy doing. When you give your heart to something, you will start to feel the love in your heart again.
5. Throat Chakra (blue)
- Associated with communication and self-expression. To heal your throat chakra, release your denial and the lies you tell yourself and others. Accept yourself. Try saying these affirmations: “I speck my inner truth”,“I express myself in loving ways”,“I am open and honest in my communication.”, “I express myself creatively”
- Speck your inner truth – voice your opinions, feelings and principles that come to you and express them to people who are interested to what you have to say.
- Actively express yourself (good for introverts) – try doing activities were you are actively expressing yourself, but also listen to others who are expressing themselves to you. Things you can try are singing, drama, creative writing, therapy, chanting, affirmations, teaching and public specking.
6. Third Eye Chakra (indigo)
- Associated with extrasensory perception and intuition. To heal your third eye chakra, release all illusions within yourself. Rely on your own intuition, trust yourself and make your own decisions. Try saying these affirmations: “I see my inner guidance.”, “I trust my intuition.”, “I can see clearly.”
- Do visual activities – create visual art, coloring, drawing, photography, working with memory, dream work, hypnosis, guided visual meditation, past life regression therapy, tarot reading, trataka, star gazing.
- Develop your clairvoyance – Your third eye needs to be opened first, read the article: how to develop your clairvoyance
- Ground yourself – If your third eye is overactive, you may get headaches, start to hallucinate and have difficulty concentrating. You need to ground yourself by fully being in the present moment. There are many ways you can ground yourself, you would need to try different techniques. Some grounding methods to try: Walk in nature (preferable barefoot), eat foods that are grown underground, gardening.
7. Crown Chakra (violet)
- Associated with spiritual enlightenment and higher consciousness. To connect with your crown chakra, you would need to meditate. Calm and still the mind, let go of all your earthly attachments. you will be able to connect to your higher consciousness.
- Spiritual activities and practice – spend time with people or places that has a high vibration such as sacred places, spiritual teachers, om healing, group meditation and spiritual events. Watch and read spiritual and metaphysical books, documentaries or films. Go to our resources page for website links and books.
- Try OM chanting –The sound of OM or AUM expresses the manifestation of the divine consciousness in form. It is believed that the divine consciousness took the form of the first vibration manifesting as sound “OM” when we repeat the chant with the correct intonation, it can resonate throughout the body so that the sound penetrates to the centre of one’s soul. we create within ourselves a vibration that attunes with the universe and the divine consciousness within us.
- Prayers – Saying certain powerful prayers helps to raise your vibration. I have found to invoke the god consciousness. Say The Lords Prayer or Psalm 23
*Please read: It is recommended that you consult a medical professional before following any advice or practice suggested in this article.